AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

4960 hyd. pump
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ronm
Posted 9/21/2017 20:31 (#6262262)
Subject: 4960 hyd. pump

Fruita CO
For pirlbeck, KTA, anyone else that has seen a lot of these pumps...
I pulled a pump out of a 4960 last week that kept blowing the piston plug o-rings. The owner's mechanic replaced the 2 on the bottom that he could get to, then another one started leaking. I had replaced 2 on the top of the pump a couple years ago. When I tore it down I noticed the threads in the piston plug holes in the housing appear to be oversize, the plugs fit really sloppy in the threads, & some of the threads looked like they were about ready to strip...almost where it would be scary to torque them up. I looked at an old junk pump I had under the bench that has a crack in the housing, & the plugs fit way better, they thread into the holes pretty snug, like you would think they should.
Question is, has anybody seen this in a 4 cu. in. pump? I was going to take it up to the JD shop & let them look at it, but the owner said "Why would they give a ***t?" Which is a good question I guess, it's for sure out of warranty...tractor has about 8K hr.
Just a fluke bad housing, or was this something common in that time frame? I've done these pumps for 40 years, & never seen anything like it.
I may still take it in & let the JD guys look at it, the service manager looked & said the only thing that showed up on DTAC was some plugs that cracked & broke in two...these plugs appear to be good.
The pistons themselves didn't look real good either, so the solution was to order a new aftermarket pump, & it's installed & running.

Edited by ronm 9/21/2017 20:35
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)