AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Are Herefords the end of the world?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Hereford Guy
Posted 9/19/2017 20:57 (#6258255 - in reply to #6257986)
Subject: RE: Are Herefords the end of the world?

Direct Injected - 9/19/2017 06:40

Hereford Guy - 9/19/2017 19:06

Herefords aren't fashionable is their big problem. Too many guys out there that heard dad or grandpa running down Hereford's and took it as gospel truth. And they did have lots of issues from the 40's through the 60's for sure. Angus had the same problems, they were just smaller in numbers so you didn't hear about that as much. Black used to mean Angus but that's not the case anymore. As I like to say, a black hide covers a multitude of sins.

Convince the buyers at the sale that they are all equal then many would jump back in but no sense taking a 10-25 cent deduction each time because they are Hereford's IMO.

How often do you see people stop drinking the Kool Aid though? It takes an awful lot for that to happen. I can think of two things right off the top of my head that prove that. Obama is classic, he got more people to vote for him twice than his opponent. Farming wise, Big P comes to mind. How many guys kept planting their seed corn, or are still planting their seed corn long after other brands had/have blown them away? I'm sure they have their numbers and I'm sure there are guys that bleed Pioneer that love it but......

As to taking the hit on price, life is a trade off. I'm not partial to Angus cows. Disposition comes to mind first and foremost. Why get hurt because they bring 10-25 cents more? Just depends on situation, everybody's operation is different in what they need from their cow herd.

Edited by Hereford Guy 9/19/2017 20:58
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)