AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Youth traveling sports teams?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

SHR4010
Posted 9/20/2017 10:55 (#6259340 - in reply to #6257393)
Subject: RE: Youth traveling sports teams?

live in Spfd, farm located NW Macoupin county
My daughter played in a competitive soccer league for a couple of years. I did not care for it. It expensive and time consuming but the thing I disliked the most was it was not about promoting teamwork and comradery. It was only about winning the game or tournament. The end of it for my daughter was her freshman year of high school when she was injured during a practice scrimmage by the coach. The coach was participating in the scrimmage & promoting rough play (body contact), collided with my daughter putting her down. I carried her off the field and straight to the hospital with a severe knee injury- torn cartilage. We got no help from the " league insurance" and the offending coach did not even come to see her in the hospital that night or later after surgery. The head league coach nor assistant coaches would have anything to do her after the injury as she was now considered damaged goods and they had no need for her on the team. The competitive league, the hospital, the coach's residence and our residence are all in the same town- travel distance is not an issue.

Another thing I regret is that this league was a "hands off" approach from the parents. The parents were allowed to watch practice from a distance but not be close enough for voices to be heard. That was considered to be intrusive to the coaches territory. The parents were expected to get their kids to practice, the games, make their own travel plans to away games, and be quiet at the games.

With all of this in mind, sit down with your daughter, talk with her, and get her input. Is this something she really wants to do? If so, support her. But be involved and keep an eye on her safety. She is only seven years old and some of these leagues and coaches think this is the Pro Soccor Tour. It is supposed to be fun and educational for the kids.

Keep in mind who has the vested interest in the future of your daughter and family.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)