AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hog Contract Options
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Pat H
Posted 9/19/2017 10:40 (#6257053 - in reply to #6257019)
Subject: RE: Hog Contract Options

pigsncows is right - it is about a relationship and if things are going well now - payments, fixing pig issues (or at least not complaining when things happen that you knew were going to - ie. starting a group of prrs pigs) and general 'friendship', it's not a bad idea to stay put. Expansion can be dicey for smaller guys (though big guys crash too), depending on long term goals, age, help, etc.

Lots of folks grow for the big guys (obviously) and I think it works pretty well. The issue I would see is turnover in staff. Probably feels like you are retraining new staff every 5 years when the old guy/girl moves up or on. That happens with small guys too, but usually less. Big guys also have additional 'rules' that may or may not make sense for your situation and can be tough to comply with. An example would be out of feed issues when the feed mill is 100 miles away - you just about have to install scales to get an accurate read on feed levels and consumption. In the past, with straight corn/bean diets, this would be overkill, but feed changes density with changes in feed ingredients and what would last 3 days might last 2 depending on what's in it and if the pigs are going through a fast growth stage. I'd love to install them, but have not found a cost effective way to do it yet.

I could be totally wrong and apparently you can be totally wrong and still grow pigs.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)