AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Adam and Eve they lived how long
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

sand85
Posted 9/19/2017 08:16 (#6256761 - in reply to #6256731)
Subject: RE: Adam and Eve they lived how long

C IL

I am a Christian.

I don't believe in Genesis, as in it literally happened as described in 7 days. 

We went over it in Bible study and I did a fair amount of research of my own outside Bible study.  It appears that most advanced religious & history scholars of Jewish oral history (both Jewish and Christian scholars) perceive that the story of Genesis was oral tradition.  That is why there are two versions in Genesis, one a more oral compfire tradition and the second with a more theological bent, probably promulgated by the priesthood.

Most cultures back then believed in order vs. chaos, and the sea represented bleak, chaotic, watery death.  Only land was safe.  The key different for ancient Jews was the belief in a single deity, and a fairly orderly, compassionate deity when other cultures worshipped multiple, more or less vengeful deities.  The firmament described in Genesis was believed, at that time, to be like the big glass dome over the top of a fancy cake, and separated the heavens above from the earth below.

As a scientist I see that the order of things in Genesis pretty much follows the order of evolution and higher complexities, with mammals and humans being last.  So some things gel for me, a Christian who has had a LOT of formal science training.

I also don't believe that divisions about whether Genesis is literal or not are all that significant; the most important parts to me are the New Testament.  Others are welcome to their own beliefs; it's what makes this country great.

Edited by sand85 9/19/2017 08:17
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)