AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Menards buildings
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 9/19/2017 09:43 (#6256949 - in reply to #6256921)
Subject: RE: Menards buildings

southern MN
Nathan (SD) - 9/19/2017 08:26

If you have never done carpentry and think buying a building from Menards is like putting together Tinker Toys, you are going to be disappointed.

The quality of a building is determined way more by the labor than the materials.

Menards is for the do it yourself guy that knows what he is doing.

I agree with that. The crew putting the materials together is more important than the materials, in general.

When I wanted a shed a few years ago.... I mean, when I could afford a shed - I think all of us 'want' a shed I do again; anyhow, when I looked around all the sheds built by local builders had a few soffits missing, some door trim missing, an end cap not finished. This would be a year after they were built. I would see buildings started in spring and the rafters weathering as it got to be November before the crew came back to finish. It seemed the locals all take so very long to finish up a project, measured in months, if not years. That seemed very disappointing to me.

I got a Morton building, the materials showed up one week, there were a couple issues (broken rafter among them!) that got cleared up in 2 weeks the crew showed up on a Monday and my 48x8q simple building was all done on Friday, they cleaned up their materials on Saturday and it was done and useable.

That was very very nice. I still drive by some buildings missing a little trim work on them, and they were built before mine went up what, 5-6 years ago......

For the building pictured, I wouldn't be afraid of that kit, but for livestock I think you need more lining inside it, critters will bust up the light inside exposed purlins and tin right quick. Livestock buildings and 'cheap' usually don't go together. It would be a good starter plan, but you would need to add to it.

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)