AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Business telephone answering peeve
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 9/18/2017 20:01 (#6255913)
Subject: Business telephone answering peeve

Chebanse, IL.....

How do you like to have a business phone answered when you are connected with "whatever department" you asked for? Do you like the person to answer with their first name? Or, do you not care to address them or ever remember who you talked to?

Seems often I call somewhere for parts. After going thru the call receptionist and asking for "parts dept please", I get put on hold for a bit and then the line is picked up by someone unknown to me.

They answer curtly, "Parts".

I respond cordially & ask, "HI, who is this please"?

Their follow up is a noticeably sharp "This is PARTS...who are you looking for....?"

So, following that, I continue to address the s-a gentleman as "Parts", since I assume that's the name he goes by when he picks up his paycheck. He has obviously just established a pecking order & has let me know his first name is immaterial & that it's none of my business.

That burns me. Why can't he just say his name is "Fred in Parts", or whatever his name is. Or, if he's afraid of the dark, he can create a stage name like something from the internet. He should realize I was directed to him by his receptionist/operator & that this isn't just a happen-stance call. I like to know their first name to write down in case I have to call back, or refer to him/her at some future call. It seems quite rude for them to re-identify themselves as "parts" when they in fact knew what I was asking.

Do others care about this? Or, is it just me that thinks business phones answerers should identify themselves? I'm not talking about calling a residence, or a non-business, but rather calling a bona-fide business with real people.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)