AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Closing the gaps between retail and commodity prices
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ben5398
Posted 9/19/2017 07:46 (#6256695 - in reply to #6256298)
Subject: RE: Closing the gaps between retail and commodity prices

Central Illinois
dexter 860 - 9/18/2017 21:15

I think that's illegal too , not for sure. Why if you have something butchered the wrappers say not for individual sale?

Just went through all that. Each state will be different. I need a brokers license ($50 in Illinois) to store and sell meat. Then I must have my meat processed at a locker that is FDA approved. My locker labels not for retail to everyone unless you let them know you will be reselling it parted out. Typical cost for a hog processing not for retail is around 150-220 but adding the for retail part can add 50-100 to the processing as everything is weighed and priced and custom labeled. I then either have to preorder all sales which is not effective or pay each county 2-400 a year to have the right to sell in their county without preorder. It really was daunting to figure out as no source had all the information like I just laid out but that is really all it was. Will add different counties in illinois have different requirements on refrigerators so I just got all commercial.

What I learned this year. Grind almost all shoulders and hams during the summer and turn them into sausages and brats. Just keep 4 or 5 butts, picnic roasts and hams on hand at anyone time. Now this fall may change that, but I dont want to do much sales at the moment during the winter.

I will also say when we scouted some Chicago markets we were amazed at the lack of care by some "local" farmers about their products compared to us and they were still selling. The number of sellers who just had meat in a cooler at a market really bothered my wife and I.

Edited by ben5398 9/19/2017 07:48
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)