AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Run a Gandy with a JD rate controller and 2630?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 9/15/2017 15:20 (#6249911 - in reply to #6249119)
Subject: RE: Run a Gandy with a JD rate controller and 2630?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
tntfarm - 9/15/2017 06:40

It was previously used on an NH3 toolbar. However I do not need to use bulk density as an input. I only need for it to run at the speed corresponding to ground speed with input from the drive shaft speed sensor.

I've worked with liquid controllers in a granular or manure situation. Having a controller that is designed to work with granular and allows inputting the product density would be easier but a liquid controller can work. One would need to come up with the appropriate cal number so that the display shows the correct totals for the product you are using.

This could be done by calibrating each product separately and making a chart for the cal number you find to work.

When I did this with a Raven 440, I would enter an arbitrary meter cal of say 100. I would set the volume back to zero and run some product through the machine and determine the weight that was dispensed with a scale. It is likely that the total volume displayed on the Raven will not agree with the scale. Do a little math and come up with a modified cal number. Repeat the process, if the results more closely agree you have changed the cal number in the correct direction. Continue testing until you get results that agree reasonably well. Write this down.

Repeat the process with other products that you plan to use. Depending of the metering system, different wheels or gate settings may enter into this. Be sure to write down information such as that with your cal number chart.

We had a customer who used a Raven 440 with a Gandy which had a scale on it as well. He found that the cal number changed from day to day or load to load depending on the humidity and the variation in the product. Metering dry or granular products is not as exact as working with liquids.

Edited by tedbear 9/15/2017 15:22
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)