AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Reclaimed doug fir or maybe pine recylced to a countertop
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

don@nebr
Posted 9/3/2017 11:19 (#6226240)
Subject: Reclaimed doug fir or maybe pine recylced to a countertop

Trying to finish a few easy projects in life before I hang up my tools.

Checked into a quartz or granite countertop for a project house and it estimated at $1500 to 2000 For a 8 foot top and another short 1 foot top between stove and frig. Seems just crazy high for such a short one they could do out of rems. On top of it all the 8' top has a huge sink hole right smack in the middle.

I took down a building and saved some really nice doug fir or southern pine 2 X 8's(old growth). Tried to get every nail out but,,,you know how that goes. If I lay these flat would I need to run those all thru a planer(Which I don't have) or could I take my time and just sand,,,rough grit for a long time, then down to fine till grain pops in color. Biscuit and join together

All covered with tons of epoxy. Maybe a decorative ceramic tile on each side of sink for decoration and a hot pad for cooking and draining hot pans

The up side is other than time I have very little if anything but time invested here and can dump and do something else if it doesn't match décor in 10 to 20 years (or months)

Just thinking sanding belts and paper are tons cheaper than planer blades if a nail rears its ugly head.

ANY observations or suggestions?? Any body tried this???

Edited by don@nebr 9/3/2017 11:22
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)