AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Drone owners survey
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Drone TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 8/22/2017 10:46 (#6203044 - in reply to #6202853)
Subject: RE: Drone owners survey

southern MN
They are easier to use than people think.

It costs a bit more than you think to get started, but then good to go.

There are 2 hard parts.

1. take it out of the box and be met with not knowing a thing, and getting a bunch of tech talk on what to do. After your third flight there is -nothing- to it, but with no experience and rather cryptic instructions.......

2. Upgrades. The manufacturers are constantly upgrading bits and pieces of the software that runs it, and have not coordinated an easy way to keep up with that. As well the new upgrades often change stuff around in ways that you don't like, but there is no way to go back again. I've come to strongly dislike 'upgrades'. Also this goes back to point #1 - out of the box the drone 'demands' you upgrade it but that could make other bits you also thrn have to upgrade without clear instructions on that...

After your second flight, about the simplest thing you can use - hit a couple buttons in the right order and push a couple joysticks around, the thing flys itself.

Seeing stuff from a different angle and every few days is kinda interesting. Doesn't replace field scouting, but offers a different perspective of it. It's easier to grasp some 'big picture' things that you don't see standing in a small corner of a field.

Last year I showed my wife a drone picture of 2 cornfields side by side about this time of year, one we pattern tiled a couple years ago, the other one we just bought the land and it was lacking tile. She says matter of fact, "When is the tiler coming for that one?" Walking or driving through the field sure it's wet here and there.... seeing it from the air big picture, you see how many acres are affected!

Watching the bordering fields is interesting as well. This is a sensitive subject I know, but when I fly my fields, I'm gonna see the ones next door too. Don't much care what they do, but it is interesting to compare my field to theirs, see if I'm ahead or behind. It helps push me to keep up, or realize if I'm doing pretty good. It's only visual for me, but a person can see stuff. Again, I don't care, other than how I can improve, or compare, like driving around the neighborhood slow with the pickup.

So, some relatives I've flown their farm twice, thry about wear out the pixels on their tv looking the video over and noticing things. It's amazing, fun to hear what they see and notice on their fields. They changed how they replant drownouts and weed walking plans from those 2 videos.

Another fella is interested in it but doesn't want to snoop on the neighbors so he hasn't had me over, but he'd sure like to have a fly over. And interesting ying yang for him.

And another isn't interested at all, he says he knows where the drownouts are doesn't want to see them from above.

A neighbor enjoys seeing an occasional still shot I send them of their fields, is mildly interested in getting one himself, hasn't had time to play with my drone to see what it's all about.

The different views of the drone and what you can see with them is as interesting as the drone.....

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)