AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Poll:. Buy big iron or hire more help
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ihmanky
Posted 8/18/2017 18:11 (#6195798 - in reply to #6195420)
Subject: RE: Poll:. Buy big iron or hire more help

KY

I think if you're at the edge of that cliff where you are debating that, some good condition used iron might be your answer, but, I don't know the details.  I have been right at the edge of being to where I could have benefitted from an extra person around, but couldn't support one year round, and hiring someone for the times I would need them A: limits your candidates and B: Usually cuts into your pocket enough that it's not beneficial.  I was actually better off money-wise to give up a couple distant farms to cut my road travel down as opposed to paying someone to work.  Hired out my spraying last two years, was amazed at the time savings.. due to a couple disappointments, I am either swapping my custom sprayer or attempting to some of it myself next year, luckily kept my sprayer in the shed just in case.  Don't know where your time crunch is at, spring fall or both, but going more no-till has knocked my time down more than I ever dreamed, and getting some more field-edge storage, cart, trucks, etc.  Makes it to where I can get more done in a day.  In beans I can run several hours before I have to unload something to make more room, and generally unloading one truck will get me through until the beans get tough then I unload the rest.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)