AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Environmental mastitis
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jay NE Ohio
Posted 8/18/2017 12:11 (#6195108 - in reply to #6194705)
Subject: RE: Environmental mastitis

northeastern Ohio
The barn and cows looks clean, but a "bio-film" can develop on the concrete that the bacteria survive on. Plus, concrete is porous which gives the bacteria a breeding ground that you can't even touch.

Here is a temporary fix that might help: You can remove the bio-film with a pressure washer and a good detergent and acid wash (just like cleaning a pipeline). You can then spray with chlorine to kill the bacteria that is in the porous concrete. This will wipe the bacteria population out temporarily. It would not cost much and it could be done in a few hours while the cows are outside. Get a couple big fans to dry things out.

Next you need to concentrate on keeping the stalls dry. You need something absorbent that won't promote bacteria growth. I know sand would be difficult to get in there with the narrow alley, but it is really the cheapest choice in my area. Hydrated lime or barn dry would also work, but does cost some more. Straw and sawdust will dry things up, but will become a habitat for bacteria if you let them get wet (they will provide some cushion to help prevent hock injury).

You mention that the cows are only in the barn for 2 hours. I assume that they are on pasture the rest of the time? You mention that your pasture is a mud hole. I used to do a lot of pasture and had a pretty good MIG system in place that helped keep the cows cleaner. Subdivide your pasture and move them every day to keep them from mudding it up. Fence them out of the REALLY muddy areas and creek.

You don't need to do everything I suggest, but doing a few of these things may make a big improvement.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)