AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bean pod count.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

nebfarmer
Posted 8/18/2017 05:50 (#6194351)
Subject: Bean pod count.

SE Nebraska, Near Misery and Cans Ass!

I've debated posting this and I probably will regret it but! we've started doing pod counts comparing beans believed to be dicamba damaged vs nondamaged and a couple things are showing up. All statements are generalized and a here thing.

1. Actual physical drift damaged beans seem to be taking a hit.

2. Volitialization damaged beans are  as good as non damaged beans.

3. Where it's a question whether its PPO or dicamba counts are similar.

4. Where it appears to be a contamination issue results vary but counts usually are lower however those plants appear to have more blooms to set yet.

Disclaimer: We did nothing with population. Some fields it is easy to find similar damaged and non damaged and some that is not possible. These fields are nowhere near done yet. Counts will change. We were subject to human error and biases. Discussion over adult beverages afterwards brought up some  observations. 

1. There has been very little moisture on most fields. The sooner significant rainfall occurred the better. More moisture is needed. The one pivot field we looked at showed symptoms on the corners but none elsewhere and it looked to be hit really hard earlier.

2.  Lots of under the canopy escapes. Might be due to lack of residual application or activation.

3. Lots of insect damage. Bugoligist of the group found 8 species in one field.

4. The train wreck is not nearly as bad as feared.

5. Extend fields are clean.

6. Can't wait for Enlist Duo!!!!

8. I'm probably going to regret posting this.

Edited by nebfarmer 8/18/2017 05:52
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)