AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Highway Guardian speed limiter
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

BHTN
Posted 8/18/2017 09:51 (#6194843 - in reply to #6194813)
Subject: RE: Highway Guardian speed limiter

West Tennessee
tedbear - 8/18/2017 08:40

Jon Hagen - 8/17/2017 23:41

Land Rover - 8/17/2017 22:37

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HIGHWAY-GUARDIAN-ELECTRONIC-GPS-BASED-VEHIC... Anyone have one of these? Looks like it would be a good deal for teen drivers, maybe lower your insurance.

Looks like it works a lot like the "my key" system found on many newer Fords. It allows you to set several things for whoever has that special key, including top speed and max radio volume.

I have a 2015 Ford Edge and it has the My Key feature although I've never used it. This is the system where there is no actual key but a key fob that allows one to use the push button to start the car. The car came with two of these. As I understand it, one could be setup as the Master or Parent and the other can setup as a restricted unit. In the restricted mode, the top speed, radio volume and other things have a limit. If the kids take the car, you keep your key and they have to take the special fob. The car realizes this and restricts certain features.

I've thought about secretly activating this feature to keep the speed in check when the GF is driving. Haven't quite figured out a plan of how to get hers and set it as the restricted model. I typically leave mine in the car, so when she is in the car there would actually be two fobs, one restricted and one not. I don't know which would take precedence. If it is the restricted one that would be fine. If it is the unrestricted one I wouldn't gain anything.

She contends she doesn't really speed but just keeps up with the flow of traffic. On a recent 300 mile trip we were passed by only one car. We passed all the rest. That doesn't quite seem like keeping up with traffic. Yes, I know I'm old.

My Silverado Pickup has a feature where one can set an alarm. This doesn't prevent you from going faster (passing etc.) but warns you. I have mine set at 75 so it rarely goes off.

I bought a used Wal-Mart semi tractor from a Jockey some years ago and had it stretched/converted to a straight grain truck. It had the top speed limited. This speed was fast enough for normal driving but I found it difficult to pass other trucks who were in the same situation. My truck repair guy was able to get the code to get this reset and unlimited. I don't drive it fast on a regular basis but I now have some reserve to pass.

Interesting story as usual Ted. I couldn't help but think though that some people do like fast GF's Ted so be careful what you wish for. :-)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)