AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hire my own mechanic?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Brandon SWIA
Posted 8/18/2017 07:37 (#6194522 - in reply to #6194129)
Subject: RE: Hire my own mechanic?

Pay is going to vary according to your location, but I would say you are going to have to be competitive with your dealer. There's a lot of guys turning wrenches at dealers because there wasn't an opportunity for them to farm, even though they wanted to. They might jump at the chance to be able to operate equipment certain times of year and get out of the corporate atmosphere. There's also a lot of guys at dealers for the job security/benefits, so they may not want to move. Just remember that if they're up to date with the newest equipment, that is as far as their knowledge goes. When new stuff comes out, there will be a learning curve. Also, specialty tools, tech manuals, diagnostic software, etc are not cheap. There's a lot of time spent looking up parts, running back and forth to the dealer for the parts, etc. Any screw ups, re-do's, etc, you're going to eat. I think you're still going to come out ahead, but just realize that the mechanic may not be as efficient in your shop as in the dealer's, and anything he can't figure out will still end up at the dealer. Find someone who can lead/train your other employees to make them better mechanically.

Edited by Brandon SWIA 8/18/2017 09:57
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)