AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

First time dog owner, question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

RockyMtnKng
Posted 8/18/2017 09:36 (#6194805 - in reply to #6194321)
Subject: RE: First time dog owner, question

Manson IA
You don't have to "beat" a dog to show them who is the leader, but you may have to hurt them a bit.... Just as a pack leader would by nipping or biting them to become the leader and maintain the leadership role. A choke chain, long leash, and a remote collar are wonderful tools for a young high energy pup. Be careful with the E collar, if the dog is more submissive you can ruin it as a tool very easily. My black lab we have now is fairly submissive, when you put the collar on her all she really wants to do is stand by your side. So we VERY rarely use it, like only when we take her in public (my wife takes her to the nursing home once in a while for example). My high energy male yellow lab I had it was perfect. It would just get his attention if he was a long ways away and was kind of ignoring your voice with his nose to the ground after something... One quick nick from the collar would get his head up and listening again... It is pain but no more than like I said in a pack he would get from the leader putting him in place...

my $.02
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)