AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Weighed some ears today
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Buck S
Posted 8/17/2017 20:07 (#6193754)
Subject: Weighed some ears today

McLeod County, MN
Going bear baiting this weekend so I needed a few buckets of fresh ears. I went to "average" to a little below average spots in two fields and simulated combining. Grabbed ears 4,8,12,16,20,24,28.

Field one DK 52-68vt2 and I came up with a yield of around 204 where I combined. I think that is a lot lower than it actually is for this field, but there is a lot of variability in soil types so its hard to find average. It looks as good as ever out there and made about 230 in 2015. If ya like kernels and extremely fat ears this would be a number to try. Very easy to find cobs with 22 kernel rows. If I had to guess I would say the average ear ends up over 300 grams. New to me so I am not sure how much the cob weighs and how much the grain weighs.

Field two DK 44-15vt2 and I came up with a yield of right around 215 from the weighing. Again from a little below average spot, and the ears are gonna get heavier yet so its hard to say yet. Kernel counts gave me a yield range of 228-244. I would say that is gonna be VERY close. My past experience with this is 85% of the cob is grain, the rest is cob itself. At my population I expect to make a bushel around 70-75,000 kernels.

Things have really ground to a crawl the past 10 days. Could use some sunshine and a little heat.

(IMG_1387.JPG)

(IMG_1388.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_1387.JPG (172KB - 93 downloads)
Attachments IMG_1388.jpg (174KB - 96 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)