AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Backgrounding calves
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

tjgasper
Posted 8/17/2017 18:11 (#6193510)
Subject: Backgrounding calves

North Central Kansas
May have a chance to try my hand at backgrounding a few calves this winter. Always milked cows and fed our steers up to around 500 or so before selling. But not sure on how to manage or feed for feeders. Will most likely be red or black Angus calves. 400-500 fed up to 800-900

1) Whats a good ration to feed? Or a program you use to make one? would like to keep packing on pounds but also build frame as I know the guy who will be buying them and want to track them as they go along. Will be TMR, have cane and oat bales to feed, sorghum silage and possibly some alfalfa to use. Wet grains like distillers out of the picture, only have storage for dry commodities and 1500 gal tank for Mix30 my dad uses.

2. Don't have small pen set up yet, building new heifer raising pens that this will be added on to but won't be ready for around a year. If I have them in a 6 acre lot will it hurt production letting them walk around munching a few weeds. Or should I push on pen project now?

3. How small of a group is too small to start with? Can only afford around 20 right now
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)