AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sioux Automation Mixers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

JoeR
Posted 8/17/2017 12:24 (#6192951 - in reply to #6192859)
Subject: RE: Sioux Automation Mixers

NW Iowa
The 36's are just a bit heavier...not very much at all really. They all use the same boxes as the 35's did. Went from some welded components to cast, and the front structure changed, along with a completely new discharge. The new augers added a little weight as well. So I think a lot of it is the looks of the front end, possibly the axle set ups too (some options were added) that might make them look lighter.

The new augers take just a little more power, just due to the fact that there is more surface area compared to the old ones. They were tested in a truck model (able to see hydro system pressure that way and compare old to new)...the increase in power was actually less that we had anticipated, so that was a plus (we knew it would be higher than the 35).

Personal preference is going to be tricky! On the one farm, we run a 4 auger for the cows/calves of a different color, and I have a 4 auger at my place for my cows/calves of a different color yet! They do what we need them to there...however, I did borrow a small single vertical a few years ago when one was getting liners to use for a couple of days. I did like it, but it was a different animal to get used to in that short of time.

One thing about the verticals is going to be the load size. For optimum mixing, it should really be at least ~70% or so full to get the boiling effect from the auger. Otherwise, the only action that is taking place is the swirling from the auger going around and around. It will mix, but might not be as good as you'd like, and it would probably take a little longer...Whereas a 4 auger, you can basically drop just a bit in it and it will mix pretty well.

The vertical will simply hands down mix just about anything you want to put in it. And mix it well. Loading sequence with a vertical is always a trick to get it incorporated easily. A little trial and error usually solves those problems. If you load the same way you would a 4 auger, you might end up having a mess that doesn't want to mix. If you reverse the order, it might look beautiful. Not a huge deal, just something to be aware of. Usually, the lighter/fluffier stuff gets tossed in first (hay, stalks, etc.) then the heavy stuff on top (corn, distillers, etc.) to weigh it down.

On that note of loading sequence...had a customer with an 850 box. Used a lot of syrup, and that was the first thing that went in. Had a loaner 650 for awhile, first load, nothing would mix, it looked like the augers were not turning once the box was full...and it wasn't mixed. Ended up that the amount of syrup in the smaller box was enough to keep the rest of the ration from getting to the bottom to mix, so everything was floating on the syrup...had to change up the loading order on that one!

Cost of the vertical compared to a 4 auger is going to be less, and the vertical will weigh less as well...might be important if you are feeding in pastures, etc. or where it is muddy.

IMO, either would be a great fit for the cow/calf and feeder guy really.

One thing to note on the 36's...the last 2 numbers are not the exact true capacity...those got changed from the 35's...so a 3680 with no extension is 650 cu ft...a 12" top would get it to 740.

Edited by JoeR 8/17/2017 12:32
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)