AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rental Car CDW insurance ?????
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Bruce NW Ia
Posted 8/16/2017 21:02 (#6191765)
Subject: Rental Car CDW insurance ?????

Cherokee County, Northwest Iowa
For many years we would rent a car on vacation, had a letter from local insurance agent, reassuring us that since we had our car insurance with them, plus the fact that we used their insurance companies bank credit card, we could safely decline the CDW car rental insurance offered to us at the counter.

About 5 years ago we considered, for various reasons, switching car insurance companies. Inquired at that time of the local agent about the CDW insurance, his reply was "Just be safe, and pay for the car rental companies CDW policy at the counter". For various reasons, we didn't change companies at that time.

Fast forward to present, we have switched our car insurance carrier to the company which insures our farming operation, main reason being we could save so much money by "bundling" farm, car, and umbrella liability policies together.

This morning I reserve a rental car for January for our first big vacation in years, go thru a wholesaler, get a car with one of the big name companies, and they are offering the CDW insurance for $11/day, and state "It is cheaper to book the CDW insurance now as compared to buying at the counter at the time of pick-up".

I call insurance office, get a different agent, but get the same company line "Just buy the CDW insurance from the rental car company, to be safe and avoid hassles during your vacation in case something bad should happen."

Question #1: Ever hear that the premium for the rental car company CDW policy is cheaper now vs. at the counter? Both wife and I think that the $11/day is a whole lot cheaper than what it used to be offered to us at the time of car rental pick-up? Or is our memory incorrect? Or have times and prices changed?

Question #2: Wife says read credit card companies agreement, sometimes they will provide CDW insurance if you use their card. She is correct, but as usual, it appears that a room full of lawyers have written all the rules for such coverage. Anyone every have problems and have to utilize the credit card company's back-up coverage?

As of right now, I am half tempted to just take some of that money which we saved by bundling the policies, and just pay the $11/day, and make the vacation as worry-free as possible. your thoughts? thanks bruce.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)