AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

dumb question but here goes
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

lgn98868
Posted 8/17/2017 21:34 (#6194021 - in reply to #6193954)
Subject: RE: dumb question but here goes

KY
oldtiger - 8/17/2017 21:13

Even if the stars line up perfectly

You're lining the stars up perfectly for your hypothetical situation. EPDs don't work. People can analyze what they need. Even if they could analyze, they're going to pick the right bull. Even if they pick the right bull, he's still going to have something wrong with him.

I never said retaining heifers out of overall younger animals is fixing all your problems. I said overall, your younger animals SHOULD be genetically superior to your older animals if you have been doing anything to manage them in a positive way in the past.

If your 10 year old cows are the best cows on the place (compared to your three year olds) then you have a problem. I'm not saying that when you wean the calves from the 10 and 3 year old that the 3 year olds calf is making you more money that day. I'm saying if you look at how the 3 yr old performs 7 years down the road then she should be better than 10 year old. Using the 3 year olds genetics today capitalizes on the work you've already done to improve your animals.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)