AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Beginner ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

constructionfrmr
Posted 8/10/2017 09:01 (#6177997 - in reply to #6176921)
Subject: RE: Beginner ?

Nashville, IL
Hunter26 - 8/9/2017 18:52

I'm looking at the Ag leader compass with 6500 receiver. If I unlock that receiver to an rtk subscription will I be ready to go or do I need a base station to go with that? I'm sure this is a stupid question but this is the first time I've looked into GPS. I'd be using this in a 4640 that I plant with. May be interested in adding auto steer down the road. Will I be happy with rtk and just the display to begin with? Looks like the display and globe are around $3000. Do you know what the subscriptions run? Thanks.

To run RTK, you will need either a a base station with radios, or a cellular modem to get corrections from somewhere such as a CORS network or MyWayRTK. Those are just a couple that I know of. The cellular way would be a subscription paid either yearly or maybe monthly. I have never ran any of it.

You could unlock to Terrastar and pay the subscription fee and for what you are doing now would be just as accurate. The RTK would shine if you were planting, side dressing, and spraying all on the same line, but if you are just using it for accurate section control, I dont see a need for RTK. If you are manually steering it off the lightbar and not doing any planter control, WAAS will be good enough. You wont be able to follow the light bar accurately enough to need a better signal.

In your 4640, you can add OnTrac3 steering and have autosteer. It mounts underneath the steering wheel so that it isnt in the way very much. Its not terribly expensive.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)