AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Grieving Today, Venting
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

stevr13
Posted 8/7/2017 16:55 (#6172770)
Subject: Grieving Today, Venting

Northeast Iowa
I'm having a hard time grieving today. I was hauling corn to our local coop today, pulled back into the drive at home and my dad was there. He had gotten a message that his friend, our friend, and well-loved neighbor had been trapped in a bean bin up to his waist at the coop's plant a couple more miles away. We got in the truck and got over there: fire rescue was already there, they had cut a hole in the side of the bin, and had the door open on the other side with a vac system. We were told the man was alive, they had him on oxygen, and were building the extraction pod the get him out. Looked good, I saw them bring a stretcher inside the bin like they were going to bring him out, I was anxious to see him come out with his good personality and share a joke; but he got engulfed or trapped deeper sometime while we were there and the rescuers tried to do their job. He died.

I'm livid. I feel helpless. I've never seen my dad cry, but today he did. I want answers I won't get. Were the rescuers unfit for the job? Reckless and caused more harm during the attempt by collapsing more grain? I shouldn't blame them, but I'm stuck. I see people comment on the social media posts about harnesses, blaming the victim for not following protocols. I hate that. This man was months away from retirement, this was going to be his last fall with the Coop. I'm posting here to get this off my chest, hard to vent to someone who could understand. I can't imagine the pain his family is going through right now. This is a terrible tragedy.

Name has not been released in the media yet, so I've abstained here.
http://www.kwwl.com/story/36078948/2017/08/Monday/emergency-crews-r...

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)