AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Planting cover crop blend now?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

RampageRanch
Posted 8/1/2017 13:35 (#6161579)
Subject: Planting cover crop blend now?

niobrara nebraska
Currently planting a cover into our combined oat and rye stubble. Using a blend of 10ilbs of sorghum sudan BMR, 15ilbs rye, 20ilbs of oats, about a pound of turnips, pound of tillage radish, and pound of crimson clover per acre. Any advice on the blend? Just looking for cattle feed in a drought as well as some long term soil health as well. Would you plant any heavier? I usually plant 20ilbs of sorghum sudan when we plant for silage/haying in the spring. Pretty darn good chance for rain tomorrow/rest of the week. We got 1.50 to 1.80 last week so I'm planting into moisture no-tilling. First frost is usually end of sept/oct. So not a lot of time to get it going. But if I'd luck out and get a late frost 60 days of growing on the sudan will ton out. Radish and clover are a first for this place but cost the exact same per pound as the turnips, so I tried them. Didn't realize how large the seed size is on those 2. Nearly as large as the sudan. But the turnips you get WAY more seed per pound so will always have them in the blend.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)