AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wearing shorts on the farm.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

IowaMark
Posted 7/27/2017 05:42 (#6151398)
Subject: Wearing shorts on the farm.

NW Iowa. / SW Arizona
How many guys on here wear shorts while working on the farm in the summer time? I've been farming for over 40 year and really didn't start wearing shorts in the summer time until probably 5 years or so ago. My wife would tell me for years that I should wear shorts it would be a lot cooler then wearing hot denim jeans. I always said heck no I'm not wearing sissy shorts, real men farmers don't do that :-). Don't get me wrong I would wear shorts occasionally while on vacation and such but never for work.

Now I wear shorts all of the time when it's hot out which as you know has been a lot this year. We had a nice rain here yesterday morning and I had to run to town to do a few errands so I just put on some denim jeans. When I came home instead of putting some shorts on I just went out and started working. I was working in the partial sun and the humidity was terrible. I was sweating like crazy and those jeans just stuck to my legs it seemed. I think I lasted 15 minutes before I went back in the house and put shorts on. I swear it felt like it was 20 degrees cooler working with the shorts on.

For you never short guys, give them a chance on these hot days, I think you'd be surprised on how much more enjoyable your comfort would be. I do realize not all jobs are suitable for wearing shorts depending on the job you're doing that day but when you can it sure helps. I think what helped me change my attitude is the fact that as I'm getting older I really don't give a darn about what other people think I look like with shorts on while working :-).

One positive advantage is your legs aren't that blinding white when you do go somewhere public with shorts on :-).
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)