AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Superintendent salaries
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

md.mcwill
Posted 7/26/2017 16:47 (#6150426 - in reply to #6149730)
Subject: RE: Superintendent salaries

I was on a tour of something and I sat down beside an older guy. He told me that he was an assistant superintendent close by the tour. We got to talking about all kinds of things. He told me that the superintendent was to be let go. I asked him if he was going to apply for the job. He said no. He said that superintendents average stay in a school district (this was 20 years ago now) in TX at the time was 18 months. He said that he had a house, wife had a job, etc. etc. He did not want to move again until he was ready to retire. He said that he did not make near as much money as the number 1 but it was working for him and his family. He said that they never fire the #2.

So superintendents get to move on all the time. I wonder if the school board changes and they want to change the #1 job. Maybe it makes them feel good.

I have been in school districts in several areas and the #1 retires or moves on to a new job. Then the school board has to hire a new #1. The superintendent in a small school does a good job and then a job comes open some where else that means more money, authority, challenge, etc. They move on.

I think that jobs are much more mobile than they used to be. The internet brings information on new jobs to most out of the way place. I like that. I can remember when I got out of college a whole lot of years ago. Finding jobs was almost impossible. Now not so much. I think that people get in a rut and find that change is good. Maybe the football team did not win the state championship that year. There are a lot of reasons to fire someone. After talking to this guy I thought I am glad that I was in my job and not in his.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)