AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Has Anyone Planted Annual Ryegrass This Early
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Iron Archer
Posted 7/25/2017 20:39 (#6148663)
Subject: Has Anyone Planted Annual Ryegrass This Early

South Eastern VA

Just my thought for the day. I will be planting some oats and radish on Thursday this week and was curious if any of you guys have planted annual ryegrass this early?

A little background...right now the weather is super hot, 90-103 degrees with 100% humidity and it rains at least every other day between 3 and 7 o-clock...think of the Bahamas! lol

With that being said it's great cover crop germinating weather with plenty of moisture most years. Corn hasn't started to dry down yet, in fact it is about twelve feet tall and super dark green and still growing. Normally I plant a mixture of crimson clover and annual rye around the end of august. Crimson clover does not winter kill here so we get a really good amount of growth with a lot of nitrogen fixing going on. Radish does well also but sometime we don't get enough hard frosts to kill it, no  big deal since it's easy to control with my early burndown application.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Was mainly wondering if the rye would even grow due to the heat or if it would go nuts and get five feet tall before December?

Edited by Iron Archer 7/25/2017 20:41
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)