AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

When the dicamba controversy settles out...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

KDD
Posted 7/22/2017 22:13 (#6143146 - in reply to #6142729)
Subject: RE: Kdd my agronomy question for you

Leesburg, Ohio
I am not, and have never been in favor of either one of the ideas you mention.

I am totally against the idea that anyone must use this technology if they do not want to, so the idea that everyone must buy extend beans to "protect themselves" is just not an option in my mind. Maybe I want to buy non gmo seed and maybe raise it for a non gmo premium program. I should be able to do so.

Adding a little dicamba to increase yield is just asking for trouble.

Its all about the risk/benefit:

We accept the risk of being injured in a car wreck, because we want the benefit of moving about easily, efficiently, and independently. We accept the risk of crop injury from using dicamba, because we want the benefit of controlling hard to control weeds. But in both examples here, we are mostly in control.

We don't accept the risk of traveling 150 mph down the dirt road with our drunk buddy driving, because we are unwilling to accept the possible result of dieing in the wreck. And we are probably unwilling to add dicamba to out bean tank mix to get a "yield bump" because we are unwilling to accept the possible result of severe crop injury. In these last two examples, someone, or something else is in control. Big difference in how much risk we will take in the first twp examples compared to the last two.

It just occurred to me (duh!) that this is a big part of the problem we face: the feeling that the risk of dicamba injury is NOT in our control. Those complaining and wanting it banned feel like they have lost control of their crop. Guys like me, on the other hand, have had good results with dicamba for years, and trust that the risk we are taking by using it is so small it is worth using it to get the benefits.

You have to find a way to get your drunk buddy out of the dicamba drivers seat, and get yourself back in control. I feel like I am still in the drivers seat, and don't see as much risk as some do.

Edited by KDD 7/22/2017 22:24
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)