AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Massey Ferguson Hesston 2746A Clogging
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

hay-okie
Posted 7/21/2017 15:56 (#6140543)
Subject: Massey Ferguson Hesston 2746A Clogging

Good afternoon everyone, long time listener, first time caller. Looking to hear people's ideas on a baler that we have had trouble with since Day 1. We have a Massey Ferguson (Hesston Series) 2746A round baler, and every since I bought the darned thing it seems like it loves to clog. Before this baler we had a Hesston 846A and it seemed like you couldn't run fast enough for it. It would eat hay at 4-5 MPH, and you actually had to run faster at the start of a bale to give it enough. I traded that one in on this baler a few years back, thinking the design would be identical, but this baler doesn't have anywhere near the appetite. I have to stop at least once or twice when starting a bale to give it time to "digest" or else the hay will wrap itself up around the starting roll and clog the baler. After you get the core started it goes a little smoother, but I typically have to keep it at 1-2 MPH so it doesn't clog. In heavy hay you can never exceed 1 MPH. And when it clogs, it's bad. You're talking a half an hour of sawing on hay with a pocket knife, and then after starting/stopping the clutch several times it will usually finally spit the hay out, but you've lost the bale in the chamber as well since you have to open the tailgate to get to the clog. It also loves to tear the rubber flaps off of the starting roll - I can't figure that one out at all. Our previous baler had 5,000 bales thru it and the flaps looked new. This one will destroy the flaps in about 500 bales. I have never messed with the pressure/density setting, but at this point I am tempted to do that to see if it could help the baler digest better. I have noticed that the bales are VERY dense, and I almost wonder if the pressure is a little high for the heaviness of the windrows. But overall I don't know. Does anyone else out there have one of these 2700 Series balers, and if so, do you have similar problems? Thanks in advance for any advice!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)