AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yield Monitor Calibration 101
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

gwagner
Posted 7/21/2017 17:29 (#6140682 - in reply to #6139960)
Subject: RE: Yield Monitor Calibration 101

This past spring a 20/20 salesman was trying to sell me a Yield Sense sensor. One of his questions was how often do you calibrate you monitor, I said once and only once. He then told me most of the farmers he talked to calibrated their monitors several times a season. When done properly the AgLeader style monitor is as good as any monitor on the market today.

Over time AgLeader algorithms have gotten better it still needs the full range calibrated. It still has a difficult time estimating the low yields (flow) and the high yield values. If the farmer only does several loads within the same flow (or speed) range (image 1, green box) when slowing down at night or in tougher conditions (red box) yield value have a tendency to be under estimated i.e. throwing grain out the back end. Or when running multiple combines within a field, if they are calibrated under different accuracy values you will get uneven results within the yield map.

As far as those yield maps are close to scale tickets, those farmers could be lucky (the green box of Image 1, I call the “sweet spot”). If for example you calibrated a monitor at 4.5mph and harvested the entire field within this parameter you will get very accurate results. Then at the end of the season when the crop is riper, the farmer has a tendency to travel faster, the likely hood of over estimating yield value will happen.

All is what I am saying is stated in the yield monitor owner’s manual, I am telling a farmer why it needs to be done this way.

Edited by gwagner 7/21/2017 19:54

(Image 1a.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Image 1a.png (75KB - 96 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)