AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Crop progress definitions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Posted 7/20/2017 20:01 (#6138974)
Subject: Crop progress definitions

Death comes to us all. Life's but a walking shadow
I don't know if this has already been discussed but here is the USDA' s definition of crop conditions:
Crop Condition:
Very Poor - Extreme degree of loss to yield potential, complete or near crop failure. Pastures provide very little or no feed considering the time of year. Supplemental feeding is required to maintain livestock condition.
Poor - Heavy degree of loss to yield potential which can be caused by excess soil moisture, drought, disease, etc. Pastures are providing only marginal feed for the current time of year. Some supplemental feeding is required to maintain livestock condition.
Fair - Less than normal crop condition. Yield loss is a possibility but the extent is unknown. Pastures are providing generally adequate feed but still less than normal for the time of year.
Good - Yield prospects are normal. Moisture levels are adequate and disease, insect damage, and weed pressures are minor. Pastures are providing adequate feed supplies for the current time of year.
Excellent - Yield prospects are above normal. Crops are experiencing little or no stress. Disease, insect damage, and weed pressures are insignificant. Pastures are supplying feed in excess of what is normally expected at the current time of year.
I would conclude that given these guidelines you could set up a yield scale as follows, very poor is zero, probably not harvested so doesn't even count in the final yield., Excellent would be the best yield you could reasonably expect. If you might normally expect 180, then excellent would be 200, or 10% better than good, 110% of good. Good would be what you'd expect to get, what you fertilize for. I would guess fair would be 20% less than good, 80% of good. I'd guess that poor would be 50% of expected.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)