AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Nass crop rating scale
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Expensive Hobby
Posted 7/20/2017 16:14 (#6138461 - in reply to #6138191)
Subject: RE: Nass crop rating scale

NW Missouri
Is there a listing anywhere that shows how many submissions there are to the crop progress report every week? I understand what you guys are doing, but I just wonder how exact these numbers can be. I would think that how yield corresponds with crop ratings would vary substantially from year to year. It's a very subjective report, and those who submit it are probably looking at the numbers as relative to the other crops in that general area, rather than the entire country. In some areas, anything over 180 bu would be considered excellent. In other areas, that would only be considered good, or maybe even fair. Maybe it all balances out in the aggregate...

I know that county FSA offices submit reports that go into the weekly ratings because when I was on the county committee they'd ask us for our input. A lot of the people that manage those offices farm as well and would be just as qualified as the next guy to report on the conditions of crops in their county. But in other counties, they might not have a clue. Again, maybe it all balances out, but I wonder how many of the reports are made by people who actually spend time out looking at crops, and how many are made by people sitting at a desk using the SWAG method.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)