AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

which has the highest soil moisture content?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Mikenesd
Posted 7/18/2017 00:18 (#6133067 - in reply to #6130771)
Subject: what i found

Clark SD

First off, thanks for all of the replys every one, they were all well thought out. I sampled to about the 46 inch depth. The results even surprised me.
 The corn had the most soil moisture left, it had good moisture from a inch down from the soil surface down to the 46 inch depth. The soybeans had so-so moisture from the surface down to the 42 inch level, then it was good after that. The rye fell about half way between that. Up untill this PM 7/17 the last rain we got was on 6/22.
 A little about the history of the two fields. The soybean field has been in a corn-soybean rotation for a number of years, for the most part the soybeans are planted no-till, the corn planted into worked ground. The field with the corn and the rye strip has been in a corn-soybean-spring wheat-rye rotation for a number of years. So with that in mind ( soil covered most of the time) along with the corn growth behind (due to the moister soil) can explain why the corn has greater soil moisture. Also could explain the rye being in the middle.
 There could be other things going on as well to explain this, but this all i can think of right now.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)