AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cowboy question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

don@nebr
Posted 7/16/2017 19:52 (#6130131 - in reply to #6129821)
Subject: RE: Cowboy question

Puff, you doing this all by yourself or with tons of help? Better get him broke to a bucket with a few cubes or soyhulls in it. it is a slow patient process but it works if they are tame enough. A rope on the bull will work to the extent the other end is tied to something stronger than they are and fence posts dont qualify. The cows will get inside faster than the bull.

I had a good friend/neighbor I could hire cheap when it came to projects such as that. Open the trailer door and stand back,,,his dogs and him would put any critter in there and they would be happy to be there. The ONLY exception was a 1000 pound holstein steer that was blind as a bat. Couldnt see what he was supposed to do. This guy has muscles he doesnt even know yet. He took a lariat rope after the steer and hollered at me to get the trailer in a hurry. He roped that steer while on foot had him on the ground sitting on top of him before I could run 100 yards and get back with the trailer. We both worked hard getting him loaded because again he could not see where to go. Had two ropes,one pulling him in,,,other around the back of himpulling up slack as quick as possibble. a steer that big can plant his feet and not walk if he doesnt want to.

That bull has 5 times more power than YOU do. Dont rope it on foot. dont have your wife closer than 1/2 a mile. Bulls can flip a switch when pushed and get goofy ,mean or both. Bulls turn bad without notice,,,its not a question of if but when. And do NOT reach thru a trailer to do anything unless you want a broken arm or more. A swing center gate can come at you at 100 mph or more from a kick or innocent bump. Your probably going to have to set a catch corral big enough for many cows and him and sort cows off. Try loading him with a couple cows and sort those back out of the trailer

We used to set up the pickup and trailer there,,,set the panels up,,,feed the cows inside the catch for 3 or 4 days,,,then just set the bucket where they ate one day and see if he will bite...if not try the next day. If he doesnt like it,or a cow doesnt like it they can make those panels fly,,,btdt,,,dont ask how I know
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)