AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why are farmers so enamored with “Big Data”
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

gwagner
Posted 7/16/2017 10:17 (#6128995)
Subject: Why are farmers so enamored with “Big Data”

Precision Man referred to an article in a thread below has got me thinking “why are so many farmers willing to give their data away to a Big Data company?” One word comes to mind is “lazy”.

Not saying they are lazy in the text of running the farm operation, many of these farmers are extremely successful in management, but don’t really care about the information they have collected. It has me concerned that if these farmers are “lazy” in the collection of their data, are they “lazy” in the calibration of the data collected? But…but they are willing to submit this data in hopes someone (company) can make useful information out of the junk they collected.

Todd Janzen, Jazen Ag Law, (http://www.aglaw.us/janzenaglaw/2017/1/11/203jaryowdunvtqi9ey3hjp8au0zx1) made an Ag Data Prediction for 2017, …“There is no prize for collecting the most junk data. We are in the midst of a digital land grab. If I added up all of the data startup companies’ claims about how many acres they have in their database, I would probably get a land mass 3 times the size of the United States. Just having “acres” of data in your database means nothing if the data is junk.”…

I was on a grower board for a “Big Data” company for several years, until the company management and I did not agree on many of the policies they were implementing and ask to leave. But at one of the local sales meeting with growers, a farmer came up to me and stated “I choked their system!!” He was proud that he had 9 years (a grower of more than 10,000 acres) of usb drives that he never looked at and gave them all this information and it took a period of time to give him some results.

Are you a farmer like the one above? What is your justification of submitting data like this? Are you concerned that if you give “Big Data” companies lousy data what kind of information will you get back, or don’t you care. Do you believe if "Big Data" companies didn't accept junk data they would have no data to process?  Or can they spin "Gold" out of straw?

What about those farmers that want good information?  Should we demand a section within the company of quality data vs. junk data?

Gary

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)