AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cover crop seeded into corn and watered with irrigator?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

seedcleaner
Posted 7/16/2017 09:35 (#6128909)
Subject: Cover crop seeded into corn and watered with irrigator?

Mid-Missouri
We typically harvest a field of corn at home and no-till wheat into it with a drill. The wheat can be used for pasturing cows or weaned calves. It also will get used to make wheat hay or haylage next spring.

We are dry here and the corn is looking good, as we have been watering it with the irrigator. What crops would you recommend to get flown on by plane for what I previously mentioned? I would like to include some wheat, as I know what it does, and it is affordable. Other crops that aren't so bulky for a plane would also be beneficial.

Then my next question would be what timing would you recommend to apply it? Last year we had wheat flown on just before harvest, and that worked very well. I am going to say it is in the R2 stage currently. The residue behind the combine made a nice cover for the seed to grow in. I think it would be nice to get the crop growing a little sooner though, and use the irrigator to water the corn and get the seed to germinate.

The corn had about a pound of atrazine and about 3 quarts of Lexar in the middle of May.

Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)