AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farmers edge reviews please
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

RRVND
Posted 7/15/2017 19:10 (#6127924)
Subject: Farmers edge reviews please

Ok I posted this in precision section a couple days ago and didn't get a response not sure how many people look there so I am posting this again here to get a little more attention.

Is anyone using farmers edge services this summer and how do you like it? I wouldn't mind trying their top of the line vr package but 5$ an acre on every acre with a 4 yr comment on something nobody in the neighborhood has tried seems like they are asking alot. They talk a big game but I am very sceptical it's really as great, easy and trouble free as they say.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
CaseFarmer
Posted 7/15/2017 20:51 (#6128109 - in reply to #6127924)
Subject: RE: Farmers edge reviews please

Flora IL
A 4 year commitment??? Screw that.
E5farmer
Posted 7/15/2017 21:25 (#6128179 - in reply to #6127924)

NW MN
Tried it last year. Didn't work for me. Once they got their money you hardly hear from them. I was on the lower plan but a neighbor did their soil sampling a vr program. They ended up hiring most of the soil sampling done by the guys that normally do it anyhow because the farmers edge guys didn't get to it. Seems like they're more concerned with getting bigger than servicing the acres they already have.
PLO NW MN
Posted 7/16/2017 00:07 (#6128463 - in reply to #6128179)

NW MN
I think they could be useful as the data collection/reporting for independent agronomist, private or coop Ag input providers but trying to build out a national or large regional system of "local" services from scratch seems overly ambitious.

Edited by PLO NW MN 7/16/2017 00:08
jamesb
Posted 7/15/2017 22:09 (#6128291 - in reply to #6127924)

South east Saskatchewan
Cant speak to Farmers Edge but they are in the area here too. The 2 companies doing VR work in my area among others is Echelon which is now owned by CPS and Decisive Farming. We have been with Decisive Farming for a few years now. We started slow with them and gradually ramped up to whole farm, soil testing, VR, and ROI calculations. It is of the utmost importance that one finds the company and individuals with a crop input philosophy that same as yours. Every company has a different take on their approach to crop nutrition and I have used some in the past that I just didn't agree with. We are happy with Decisive and plan to continue.
P1402
Posted 7/16/2017 00:23 (#6128476 - in reply to #6127924)

Really happy so far (2 years), I hired them primarily for the soil sampling. If that pencils out for you I'd give it a go. They do a lot of other things but having the VR info in one place and being able to make decisions off the soil samples is nice. I was soil sampling myself and importing into SMS to make it useful. This streamlines it and saves time. All the other stuff they do I consider a bonus but wouldn't pay for it.
YRathore
Posted 1/3/2019 15:33 (#7217735 - in reply to #6128476)

Hi P1402 - My name is Yash and I am looking for current customers of FarmersEdge for a brief paid consulting engagement with my client who is researching the market for Precision Farming Tools. Is there a better way to reach you so I can provide more information?

Best,
Yash
DT87
Posted 7/16/2017 06:53 (#6128594 - in reply to #6127924)

SC Kansas
Our COOP just came out with something similar. We were already doing some VR application and such, and when we added in the fact that they also did the recs, mad the maps, got access to NDVI maps, and they also knock off some of the VR application charge, we went ahead and gave it a go.
GOOSEPILOT
Posted 7/16/2017 16:07 (#6129659 - in reply to #6127924)

WC Mn/Dakotas
You get what you pay for. And in this case more true than most others. To soil sample, make recs, make vr prescriptions for fertilizer and seeding, handle yield data, imagery, weather stations, and whatever else they are advertising, $5/acre is about 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of what it really takes to do a great job.

Ask if you own (or can have) a digital copy of your yield data or imagery. So far i have heard NO on both. You only get a paper image. And their data puck is even less reliable than climate corps puck. One agronomist or field person for about 70,000 acres = not much personal face time or time in each field.
mackfarm
Posted 8/3/2017 17:15 (#6165910 - in reply to #6129659)

Goosepilot,

I would like to take the opportunity to clarify on some misinformation you have received. Farmers Edge customers own their data and are entitled to have digital copies of that data if they haven't already got a copy. Unfortunately we don't have a simple "download my controller data" button, however we are able to provide our customers their data via a download link.

We've provided precision agricultural services since 2005 and fully understand the complexity of integrating all the different sources of data you listed. It is our goal to provide our precision solutions to our customers at the lowest price possible to ensure maximum profitability. We utilize our years of experience and our ability to integrate technology with traditional agronomy to do so.

Our Canplug which enables our customers to implement fleet management and real time data management is a hardware device and as such is prone to the same challenges as any other ag electronics device. Farmers Edge is uniquely able to address those issues faster than any other company with similar technology as we have people employed in the towns and regions that our customers farm in, allowing us to provide service above and beyond what others are capable of.

My regards,
Curtis MacKinnon
Farmers Edge
RRVND
Posted 7/19/2017 21:17 (#6137007 - in reply to #6127924)

Has anyone got them to budge on their price or full farm only policy? I wouldn't mind trying a field or two to see their vrt maps but switching over 100% is probably not happening and a 4 year commitment is insane without some proof of value.
P1402
Posted 7/20/2017 07:03 (#6137508 - in reply to #6137007)

Do you have anybody that farms with you or separation of some sort? Price I think is their price, it was four when we signed up two years ago. They will work with you on the sign up, of course they want to sell it so they will try to accommodate, I'd just sit down with sales guy and say here's the deal. I also believe you sign a 1 year contract with 4 year commitment so after a year if you are like hey this is not as advertised, this is garbage, you are out a year and they are out a lot more, it is in their best interest to do a good job and like I've said it was worth it here. I also like that it is not Monsanto getting all of my data.
GOOSEPILOT
Posted 7/20/2017 07:28 (#6137571 - in reply to #6137007)

WC Mn/Dakotas
Precision farming is kind of a state of mind. Its not going to make your life easy. Ive tried doing a couple fields for growers, and it usually is unsuccessful because they are not totally committed. Secondly, it takes time to see some of these results. Its been farmed a certain way for decades, getting certain areas back into proper shape usually doesnt happen in 1 year. It really takes gathering GOOD data for a few years from a few tweaks in practices to really get started. Its an evolution. I think many growers think its some object they can purchase once and just keep using the same rx and its never going to change and that is not what precision is about.

The only thing I do differently is allow a large grower to come on board a 1/4 of the farm a year, so in 4 years its 100% on board. That way you could kinda compare 1/2 your corn or beans in the program to the way you currently operate. You will see some of the benefits the first year on most fields.

It is a big commitment for sure and can seem overwhelming at first. But you are better off doing the whole farm. I take baby steps, you make small adjustments to what you are currently doing and with your current equipment. As confidence and understanding grows, you will see what more significant changes you really need to make.

And you will find things really do change and you need to constantly evolve. That is what precision is about. Doing some practice, recording what you did, analyze the results for ROI, make better informed adjustments, and repeat.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)