AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Festivus Friday
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

seedcleaner
Posted 7/14/2017 22:25 (#6126424)
Subject: Festivus Friday

Mid-Missouri
I have had a few issues in the past that I would like to rant about. I am actually not even looking for a solution, as I so often do on NAT...but I wouldn't be opposed to it!

Regarding a Deere 4710 sprayer, and even the current machines if I had to guess:

Why doesn't the automatic section control consider the wheel angle sensor to better predict how to control the boom sections? If it does, I would be very surprised. Since the autosteer already requires a WAS, why not utilize that to do a better job of product application. It doesn't matter if it is adaptive curve, straight track, etc... it would be beneficial, especially when acquiring the line during engagement. Even the newer machines with Pinpoint from the factory seem to struggle with this, from what I have seen. 80 or 120 foot booms swaying back and forth really move a lot (or not very much at all) during a turn that the monitor isn't expecting. Because the WAS would see the turn before it happens, this could be very beneficial IMO.

I have also fought but have given up on better product application with the flowmeter at lower flow rates. Couldn't the product rate be a bit more accurate if it utilized the flowmeter but used the pressure sensor maybe as a backup or as a reference to proper application. I so often come into a point row and as the boom sections turn off, the pump backs off but when I am down to the last boom section, the flowmeter struggles and the pump typically goes to about 14 psi, resulting in no product applied. This low pressure even occurs if I have a minimum pressure set to 25 psi or so. It also happens when one section turns on for a period of time over a strip of ground that hasn't been applied. The meter may not see any flow and the pump will increase pressure to over 100 psi, or until it begins to register flow. With all of the rubber hoses and any air in the system the flow meter simply struggles with low flow rates, The factory meter had that trouble and the replacement Raven does as well. I even mounted it in an area of hose where it was mounted vertically. 8-12 gpa and the red 04 tips really give it fits on point rows with one section on. Couldn't the system learn or be calibrated (per tip size) that going x mph at y rate = psi, instead of solely relying on the flow meter?

I know these complaints are petty, but it is simply things that look like they need improved upon. Done airing my grievances.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)