AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Herbicide residual vs cover crop
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

RSZ
Posted 7/10/2017 19:12 (#6117560)
Subject: Herbicide residual vs cover crop

Gothenburg, NE
We had a nasty hail come across our farm on July 2nd that pretty well wiped out a few fields. I'm thinking I would like to get some sort of a cover crop growing to keep out the weeds and maybe get some of the benefits of keeping a growing plant on the soil. At this point it could be anything from a full blown radish/turnip cover, some sort of feed crop to be baled up (would have to hire since I don't have haying equipment), or just use some of the wheat I have in the bin to get a cover going and decide later whether to hay it or graze it. Here's the problem - these fields have quite a bit of residual type herbicides on them. What was corn had 3 oz of Balance Flexx and 1# Atrazine in early May and then 8 oz of Outlook in early June. The popcorn had 13 oz of Verdict in early May and 3/4 oz of Impact and 1 # Atrazine about a month ago. I hate to go the time and expense to seed something just to have it struggle or fail because of herbicide damage. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions about this situation? Would a light tillage pass with a Landoll VT machine break up the chemical barrier enough to help my cause? Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)