AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Weddings expensive
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

150pilot
Posted 7/9/2017 08:59 (#6114391 - in reply to #6112641)
Subject: RE: Weddings expensive

New London, Wisconsin
I have been through this 4 times in the past two years! My kids are 9 years apart in age, 30,28,26, and 23 but all found the "right one" at about the same time. Good choices too, not a bad one in the bunch and all 8 of them get along great together and with us.

Like mlswaar, I too gave the kids a fixed amount. It wasn't the same for each as they had different needs, abilities to pay and tastes. All were at least somewhat frugal, except the last one, but she makes a ton of money and so does her husband. All four kids clarified they will be happy with anything I give them, but nothing is required.

Each kid started with a modest plan and it grew and shrank according to costs and guest numbers. It's good for them to plan an event like that and be responsible for it all. They get what they want and can afford.

Each wedding was so different from the others, it was really cool.

The first was a golf style wedding at a golf course after a church wedding. It was terrific. Except my son tore his ACL two weeks before the wedding and was on crutches. He danced without them for a bit until somebody bumped his knee and I never remember seeing someone in so much pain. Still the wedding was a blast. I covered the rehearsal dinner for about 85 (lots of out of town guests with nothing else to do) and the booze. It was a wonderful time, and his knee is now back to normal. Total wedding cost about 13k and about 140 guests for DJ, food, drinks, hall, flowers, dress etc.

The second was at a rented scout camp in northern Illinois for my outdoorsy then Illinois residing oldest daughter. We all stayed in cabins onsite for the whole labor day weekend. Mess hall dining, canoeing, mud volleyball, it was a hoot. Food, camp, DJ drinks other costs totaled around 15k for 95 or so guests because the camp limit was 100 and that includes staff. We started the "beer canoe" trend when coolers we not plentiful enough. It was awesome.

Third was the youngest daughter at an outdoor vineyard very close to home. (the only wedding close to home) Outdoor wedding and reception in one spot with a large building for inclement weather, but it was a beautiful day. One highlight (for me) was the flower drop by airplane. A friend and I have each done this for each other ( in appropriate airspace and according to FAA regulations ) no stems, no seeds, no impact concerns, no weeds to grow in a vineyard. Tip, you need to heave out about a 5 gallon bucket full per pass from about 75 feet up or you won't see much floating down. Total cost is a bit unclear but around 14k for everything. Vineyard, dress, flowers, minister, drinks, food, DJ and misc. Total people around 130.

The last one was in Milwaukee at a local church and down town rented hall. Parking alone is pricey in MKE. It was a great time and I never knew the final costs. I will only say they were a lot. She works for a bunch of attorneys, he is a civil engineer. They don't need to worry, but are still cost conscience. Total people around 150.

You may notice I didn't mention the professional photographer. He did it for free of his own choosing because he is the oldest daughter's new husband, my son in law, and was going to be there anyway. He charges a lot for his services and often travels out of state, and even went to other countries several times to shoot weddings. He is absolutely fantastic in his talents. He hired a guy to fly in from California to shoot his own wedding. He knew what he wanted.

I hope this helps. All four are doing great and are not saddled with any wedding debt. They saved up for it.

Jim

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)