AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bourbon drinkers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

johnny skeptical
Posted 7/6/2017 05:52 (#6108134 - in reply to #6106974)
Subject: RE: Bourbon drinkers

n.c.iowa

IowaCenturyFarm - 7/6/2017 01:14 Bourbon is the harshest/boldest of all whiskeys due to its being aged in brand new barrels (other whiskeys are aged in used barrels). This means that it takes on more of the wood flavor, giving it a bolder taste. Canadian whiskeys tend to be the mellowest in my opinion. Irish and Scotch whiskeys vary in intensity depending on the distiller and amount of peat used to malt the grain. In my experience the hierarchy of intensity is Canadian-Irish-Scotch-Bourbon. Blended whiskeys are generally mellower than single barrel. My advice to you is to train your palate with a lighter whiskey. I might get flamed for saying this, but Crown Royal is entry-level sipping whiskey. Try that and then work your way up to other, bolder flavors. Also, don't be put off by the relatively low cost of bourbon compared to some other whiskeys - part of the reason for that is that being American-made it does not carry any import tax. And remember that what you like won't be the same as everyone else. For example, I don't particularly care for Maker's Mark, but others in this thread love it. I like the spiciness of a rye, but many do not. The only way to know is to experiment. Ignore the naysayers - they equate all drinking with shotgunning Natty Lights or slamming shots of cheap tequila in college. This is not the same thing. If you're responsible, it's not about getting drunk, it's about enjoying the flavor. Much the same as wine or craft beer. I used to not like asparagus, but figured out after trying various dishes that when it's prepared to my liking it is one of my favorite foods. It's the same way with alcohol.

very good century farmer, I too like crown royal.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)