AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Woods chopper breaking pins
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Fingers77
Posted 6/28/2017 09:55 (#6094083 - in reply to #6093955)
Subject: RE: Woods chopper breaking pins

It looks like the carrier bearing might be a hole too high. It is supposed to be as straight a line as possible from the tractor PTO to the gearbox when in working position.

Is the yoke loose on the shaft end? If so, the yoke or shaft needs work or replacement.

Is the carrier bearing loose? As in if you lift on the shaft is it loose and can you see movement? Ignore vertical movement between the carrier housing and the uprights. We used to run mowers with FAR worse wear in those parts. I would, however try to tighten the space between the uprights and the carrier housing. We never ran with that much slop in them, I don't know if that is a contributor. Judging from the amount of grease on the back half of the shaft behind the carrier bearing, that'd my first suspect.

For testing the U Joints, hold one end of a shaft still and twist the other end of the shaft back and forth by hand. If you can see any movement, the joint needs to be replaced.

Does the shaft slide forward and back inside itself easily? If it doesn't, that could be another major contributor. The shaft needs to extend and collapse during use.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)