AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What's the long term supply/demand outlook?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

beebe44
Posted 6/26/2017 14:41 (#6091089)
Subject: What's the long term supply/demand outlook?

Southern Idaho
I studied agricultural economics at Utah State and professors always said long term outlook for producers was probably very good. Just looking toward future demand and supply, at what point does supply fail to keep up with increasing demand? is it 10 years out? 20 years or more? Or do you believe we will be able to improve yields enough to keep up with increasing demand long-term? Has anybody analyzed demand and supply data to determine approximately at what point we fail to be able to meet demand? There were a lot of things I had to take with a grain of salt in college, but they always acted like it was a sure thing at some point maybe around 2030 we would start having major food supply problems in the world beyond 3rd world countries that already have these problems. It's been 10 years or so and I wonder if they are still saying the same things? The way farm prices are it makes me wonder how many buyers are influenced by the idea of future food shortages/end of times kind of thinking. I don't know why else people would be willing to spend ridiculous prices for farm ground when farming just isn't very good right now. It seems there are much better investments out there. The reason I ask is I'm a younger farmer but I have some land that I'm thinking of selling to a neighbor. The land is paid for and I'd do a like-kind exchange for some real estate if I can find the right property. Land Prices are high now, but will I regret selling that land 10 or 20 years from now?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)