AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

affect of no-till on soil moisture
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Mikenesd
Posted 6/25/2017 17:01 (#6089624)
Subject: affect of no-till on soil moisture

Clark SD

Like i said in a previous post, i have been running around checking soil moisture with a soil sampling probe ( in my case i am using a Dakota Probe which is about 46 inches long, and has a open face the entire lenght, except for the top and bottom ends. A picture of it can be seen in the bare soil photo in the following link.
https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=715019&posts=4&highlight=soil &highlightmode=1#M6088672
 Me and my two brothers have been continous no-till for about 25 years. I have been comparing our fields with a neighbors field that is no-tilled the soybean year. and tilled the corn year.( I do have permission from the neighbor ). This year that field is in the soybean phase of the rotation.
 For what ever reason i can make a ball out the soil clear up to a1/2 inch of the soil surface in the continious no-till ( it has surface residue ), but in the on again off again no-till it is hard to, if not impossible to make a ball, from the surface down to about 7 inches, below that you can ball it up.
 As to the previous post that i have a link to, the soil in the wheat, i could make a ball clear up to the soil surface, where as the bare soil i could not.
 I am hoping that some of you out there can explain what cause's this all to happen.   

Edited by Mikenesd 6/26/2017 07:09
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)