AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Planting via gps
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

oldbones
Posted 6/22/2017 08:57 (#6083873 - in reply to #6081499)
Subject: RE: Planting via gps

Floyd County, Iowa

If you're going to plant strictly with a lightbar, without some kind of auto steering, you are in for a world of stress, headaches (literally), and disappointment.
If you're going to use a marker, and use the lightbar for "back-up" situations where you need to lift the marker for some reason, then you would be OK with just a lightbar. I did that in one field where I had to strike out in the middle of the field, dropped both markers, and planted each way from there.
Also, if you don't have steering, you don't have to be within the 5" lightbar accuracy range, because you won't be able to repeatably stay within it steering manually.

I use EZ Guide and EZ Steer on WAAS, and it's workable, but still use markers. I've got some odd shaped fields where it has helped tremendously. But I have to use nudge at times, to stay on the mark.
I did the "lightbar only" gig the first year, and it worked for what I did, but I got tired of that quickly and went EZ Steer.
Less than $2200 in two EZ Guide Plus lightbars, an EZ Guide 250 lighbar, all with antennas and cables, and an EZ Steer unit with T2 for the 250, so not a lot invested. Not as accurate as the higher end systems, but do what I need.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)