AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Comparison of pass-to-pass performance on curved patterns
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

farmsinil
Posted 6/20/2017 14:07 (#6080762)
Subject: Comparison of pass-to-pass performance on curved patterns

I'm a current Ag Leader precision tech user and fan- with a few exceptions. I will only dwell on one of those exceptions here as I have generally been exceptionally pleased not only with the product but local and corporate support.

We currently run InCommand 1200s (4, plus an 800). One of the InCommands is driven by SteerCommand, the others by Geosteer units. RTK corrections are by Digifarm via Intuicom modems (except for the Steer Command, which uses the Ag Leader internal modem). I'm generally pleased with pass-to-pass performance on straight patterns; however, my ISO-steered Deere R series tractors don't seem to quite have the performance of older 30 series Deere tractors. I have not been pleased with curved pattern performance for several years since moving to Ag Leader/Autofarm from Trimble-based steering. We have been in communication with our dealer and ag leader corporate support regarding the issues. On curved patterns, my guess row width on a 24R30 planter can vary from touching to well over 4' depending on how tight the radius of the curve is. Even in mild curves, I am off (of the 30" ideal) by several inches. Guess row mis-spacing is problematic during sidedress, spraying, and particularly, now as we are experimenting more with strip till. A few weeks ago, I learned from Ag Leader that the culprit, largely, is that Ag Leader does not account for implement drift in their steering algorithms. While they do account for implement drift for product control (which works great for me), it is not taken into consideration when steering. I now can support this reasoning- my tractor track spacing is close to accurate, but the implement tracks differently on a curve. I can make it better by making strips and planting with endrows and curved patterns going all the same direction- it gets much worse with passes going in opposing directions.

I would hate to leave a product and support that I have really come to appreciate. In fact, I have been in front of or used Deere and Trimble displays and far prefer Ag Leader's ease of use and eye-appeal. That being said, I am contemplating a move to a different product because my curved row performance is not acceptable (particularly when coupled with my other smaller gripes). Instead of sitting here wondering about the green grass on the other side of the fence, I hoped that I could ask y'all for feedback on what kind of curved pattern performance you get with other products, particularly with John Deere steering. (If we were to make a change, it would likely be to Deere because of local support, a nearly-all Deere machinery fleet, OEM combine row feelers, and an implement steering option). I have already made a long post, but if there is interest, I could also add photo documentation with measurements. I appreciate your feedback with experiences (Ag Leader or Deere) on curved-pattern performance.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)