AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Two John Deere displays, an Ag Leader display, and a Kinze planter walk into a bar...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

KMech
Posted 6/7/2017 20:43 (#6059540 - in reply to #6059538)
Subject: RE: Two John Deere displays, an Ag Leader display, and a Kinze planter walk into a bar...

Missouri
Ok, so a little background here. This setup belongs to a friend of mine. I don't know if he wants identified on the internet, so I'm just going to call him D. He's running a 16 row 4900 behind a 7R Deere, equipped with a 2630, an armrest display, and an Ag Leader Incommand. D did his homework on the displays available to him. Of the listed compatible displays, he had all but one available to him (the left-out being a Pro700 for obvious reasons). He already had a 2630 for steering, and an Ag Leader display from other things. He could have used the Viper4 which came with the planter as well. After careful scrutiny of the features, advantages, and disadvantages of every option, he settled on this plan, and we set about making it work.

The 2630 is present on the ISOBUS, but not actively interoperating with the planter (it could be, but it was decided it should always show the steering map), but it is doing the steering. The Ag Leader Incommand is teed into the tractor's ISOBUS. The InCommand is providing task controller services, running prescription rate control and operating the section controls on the planter. The armrest display is showing the virtual terminal. The noteworthy part of this is the sharing of work between the Ag Leader display (task controller) and the armrest display (virtual terminal). You can see in the video where D changes the rate on the run screen of the Ag Leader, and it is followed on the virtual terminal. This setup also has the advantage of displaying the planter's population monitor and controls on a screen that is not busy with other purposes.

This isn't actually a supported configuration. For running this planter on an Ag Leader display, both Kinze and Ag Leader would have recommended isolating the IBBC/ISOBUS implement from the rest of the tractor. It is the safe option, and it does eliminate variables. Had we run into any problems, the standard supported configuration would have been our fallback position, but we less interested in the conservative alternative, and more interested in pushing the technology to see what it could do.

I just thought I would share this. I think it's a neat example of green, blue, and colorless electronics, all working together. It's not the scary thing some people will make it out to be.

Edited by KMech 6/7/2017 21:14
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)