AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

John Deere 4020 Clutch Troubles
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Playing In The Dirt
Posted 6/7/2017 11:32 (#6058919)
Subject: John Deere 4020 Clutch Troubles

Hello All,

For starters I have a '67 Diesel 4020, shifter is to the right of steering wheel 1-3, 2-5, 4-7, 6-8(I believe).

I'm new here and have been reading some posts on clutch issues with 4020's. Mine sat for a while and I went to use it one day and the gears would just grind when I tried to shift. I went to the internet and found myself here reading about how my clutch was basically rusted to the flywheel. I could get it going in 1st and shift into third by going down hill. I had the clutch pedal chained down the whole time and was trying to get the clutch to break free. I even tried dragging a 10' disc around and couldn't get it to break free. At that time all my hydraulics worked fine. I gave up for a few weeks because I didn't have the time to keep at it. I recently went to give it another try (clutch pedal still chained down) and trouble my surprise it slipped right into gear. Very excited, I shut the tractor down, jumped off and unchained the clutch pedal. When I started it back up, put it into 5th gear and let the clutch pedal out it didn't move. It's like the clutch is stuck out now and won't engage. I'm thinking "this is just great!". Frustrated I head back to the internet and find myself here again reading about how I might have a check valve issue or the suction screen may be plugged up or the pump might even be shot. So I start with checking the suction screen. I take the plug out and a spring comes out about 3" long(I figured it was used to put pressure on the screen). I reach my finger in there to try and pry a screen out and can't really feel anything. I tried to reach something with a small pick, which bottoms out about 3" in, but can't feel anything to pull on. I'm assuming this is the screen I'm feeling about 3" in but I don't know how else to try and remove it. I have the filter out at this point and when I turn the engine over hydraulic fluid comes out (I believe this indicates the pump is working). I'm not entirely sure how to drain fluid completely, I don't see a drain a plug, I figured once I took the filter off and plug for suction screen it would drain itself. I bought a new John Deere filter and figured this was a good time to replace it while I was going through all this.

So that's where I'm at... I'm not sure how to remove suction screen, or even if there is one. I don't know if the spring belongs in there or if it was put in there as a half-assed replacement by the previous owner who may have took the screen out. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
lugnut56
Posted 6/7/2017 12:17 (#6058980 - in reply to #6058919)
Subject: RE: John Deere 4020 Clutch Troubles

East Central Mo.
I'm no expert here, but I have put a few clutches in. I don't believe your problem has anything to do with your hydraulics, if it's the syncrorange transmission. It sounds more like you clutch disc is rusty and not sliding on the splines. Try working your pto clutch and transmission clutch at the same time. I believe it just needs to be freed up, but it may not be possible without splitting. Someone else may have a different opinion, so wait and see what others say.

Edited by lugnut56 6/7/2017 12:19
thorfarms
Posted 6/7/2017 12:30 (#6058993 - in reply to #6058919)

Lincoln, North Dakota
A clutch in a 4020 syncro range has no hydraulic aspect to it. I would just split it and do the required work to either renew or fix what you have. For the amount of time you have invested so far you probably could have split it already. A stuck or poorly operating clutch like that is a safety thing to me. Just my .02

Edited by thorfarms 6/7/2017 12:31
classic 4010
Posted 6/7/2017 12:42 (#6059011 - in reply to #6058993)

western iowa
+1 on what he ^ said. I'm no expert either but owned a 67 4020 for a long time. Like he said, it has a dry clutch with just a mechanical linkage to the pedal. Make sure there is free travel in the pedal by adjusting it. There is a bearing to be greased up inside the clutch housing by removing the inspection plate underneath. If the gears were grinding first, it wasn't releasing. And I wonder if the plug you were taking out was the suction screen one? There is no spring under it. The correct plug is towards the rear of the tractor on the left side behind the hydraulic filter. It is flat, about 2" across and takes a 1/2" square male drive to remove it. The screen under it is probably 6" long and can be struck in there a bit if it has a lot of "stuff" on it. Good luck! If you don't have one, get an owners manual.
Buster 50
Posted 6/7/2017 12:47 (#6059015 - in reply to #6058919)

North West IA/western AZ
Playing In The Dirt - 6/7/2017 10:32

Hello All,

For starters I have a '67 Diesel 4020, shifter is to the right of steering wheel 1-3, 2-5, 4-7, 6-8(I believe).

That is called a syncro transmission.
ccjersey
Posted 6/7/2017 15:06 (#6059128 - in reply to #6058919)

Faunsdale, AL
Synchro-Range transmission. I agree, nothing hydraulic related to it. You have the wrong plug out, replace it and go back to the clutch.

I think there are a couple of grease fittings on the outside, one is for the clutch release bearing and the other is for the pto engage bearing.

With the engine stopped!...........I would lube those and look up inside to perhaps spray some penetrating oil on the release bearing where it slides back to front as you push the pedal down. Have someone press clutch pedal down while you watch from below to see if the release bearing is compressing the pressure plate release levers and then backing off when released.

When breaking a stuck clutch loose you want to be in the highest gear possible. Last one I had was a 6030! Luckily it was already hitched to a plow so all I had to do was raise the plow, shut it down and put transmission in 5th, defeat the neutral safety switch, start it up and go plow. It actually took 15-20 minutes of plowing with the clutch held down before it broke loose with a bang! I about hit the steering wheel!
roush9799
Posted 6/7/2017 16:39 (#6059212 - in reply to #6058919)

West Central IL

There's a grease fitting under the cover on the bottom also, not sure what that greases, but I grease it from time to time.

Case IH 9170
Posted 6/7/2017 22:16 (#6059784 - in reply to #6058919)

Southwest Illinois
Try shifting it like a truck by reving it with the foot pedal and then let off and step in clutch and shift. That Is how we do it on ours.
Playing In The Dirt
Posted 6/8/2017 07:13 (#6060112 - in reply to #6059011)

Thanks for the feedback!

The plug I took out was right behind the filter on the left side but it was 1-1/4" max and I used a 3/8" drive ratchet to free it. I'll look for another one.

Sounds like there is rust on the splines and the clutch disc won't press against flywheel now. But that doesn't explain to me how it unstuck itself after all my efforts by just sitting there for two weeks with the clutch pedal chained down.

The tractor needs to get split. There is a greasy mess inside that inspection cover for the clutch indicating a seal has been compromised. Just right this moment I don't have the time or money to so it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)