AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Best Surface Drainage Software
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Canucker
Posted 6/5/2017 09:56 (#6055351 - in reply to #6053496)
Subject: RE: Best Surface Drainage Software

SJ@Farmacres - 6/4/2017 10:55

Optisurface!

By far the best surface design software.

Does Optisurface do ditch work? I thought it was for leveling/contouring?

I've used AgForm3d in the past, probably about 7 years ago. At that time, it was also a leveling program, not a ditching/drainage tool. Great for some areas, difficult to use for the style of water management we use in the Canadian prairies.

I'm a big fan of Farmworks myself. There is certainly a learning process, though that isn't unique to this software. Once you get your head wrapped around it you can plan surface work and make sure everything lines up so you're installing a network, not a bunch of individual ditches. Last thing you want is two ditches meeting up only to find one is 6" lower than the other.

You can then export your designs into a 1000 or 2050 display if you're using Trimble and automate the majority of the installation process. Feathering out the edges is generally done manually by most of my customers.

The WM-Drain package on the display is what you'll need for the surface ditching, and Field Works II is the program that will install the levees. I've done a lot of work with WM-Drain but very little with Field Works. Levees were a subject in training, I know it can be done, but I haven't done it myself as that's not common farm practice in this region.

Edited by Canucker 6/5/2017 09:58
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)